Words of Wisdom part 2: Quotes from NYJL volunteers
Following up on the first part of our Words of Wisdom series, here’s a look at some empowering words from fellow volunteers of the New York Junior League (past and present)!
- “A woman is like a tea bag; you never know how strong it is until it’s in hot water.” —Eleanor Roosevelt, Former First Lady and New York Junior League volunteer
- “From those to whom much is given, much is expected. Giving back is everyone’s responsibility.” —Tonya Garrett, New York Junior League volunteer
- “Try to look at everything through the eyes of a child.” —Ruth Draper, Actress and New York Junior League volunteer
- “To be trained as a community leader, empowered as a volunteer, and given the resources to change lives—while at the same time making dear and lasting friendships with my fellow volunteers—has been an extraordinary experience.” —Mari Quilio, New York Junior League volunteer
- “The proposal that men and women should be treated equally under the law is hardly a controversial concept.” —Carolyn Maloney, Congresswomen and New York Junior League volunteer
- “I have benefited from others in some way or another throughout life, and it is important to me to pay this forward as an active citizen of society…” —Kit Whaley, New York Junior League volunteer
- “We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face… we must do that which we think we cannot.” —Eleanor Roosevelt, Former First Lady and New York Junior League volunteer
- “The appeal of joining the NYJL for me was the opportunity to be a hands-on volunteer, working directly with people who needed help and support.” —Stacey Lawrence Lee, current President of the New York Junior League
- “My view is that serving the NYC community is an integral part of living a fulfilling life.” —Shelby Spears, New York Junior League volunteer
Stay tuned for the third and final installment of the Words of Wisdom series. In Part III, we’ll reflect on the inspiring guidance captured in NYJL’s “I Volunteer Because” campaign. Care to send in your own “I Volunteer Because” statement? Email email@example.com.