Who We Are
TODAY’S JUNIOR LEAGUE IS RELEVANT, MODERN, NIMBLE. We react to the changing and challenging landscape of the New York City community.
• We are one of the oldest and largest women’s non-profit volunteer organizations in the city.
• We have more than 2,800 volunteers—of all races, religions, and ethnicities–who donate more than 250,000 hours of service every year.
• We train volunteers to develop skills for community work, to serve on boards, and to be leaders.
The New York Junior League seeks to strengthen the health and well-being of the children and families of the greater New York City area.
A Message From the President, Suzanne E. Manning
Welcome to the New York Junior League!
Whether you are looking to volunteer, become one of our community partners, or a corporate donor, there has never been a better time to get involved. Read more…
Board of Directors and Management Council
Our vision of improving the community lives on, year after year, through the leadership of these experienced and dedicated professionals. Meet our Board of Directors and Management Council.
Thanks to the continued dedication of these visionaries, the New York Junior League is one of the most influential volunteer organizations in the city. See all of our Past Presidents.
- NYJL 2015-2016 Annual Report
The New York Junior League (NYJL) is an organization of women committed to promoting volunteerism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
The year was 1901. Mary Harriman, a student at Barnard College, was so moved by the poverty in New York City that she decided to do something about it. She rallied her friends to join the cause and soon they were visiting the Lower East Side settlements, teaching and mentoring the immigrant families who were living there. Thus, the New York Junior League was born.
As we embrace our core values, they ensure we embody our mission and guide all we do.
- Passionate about Our Community: We are passionate about our community and believe in maximizing our impact through strategic external partnerships, advocacy and volunteer action to achieve our mission.
- Respect for Individuals: We respect each other, those with whom we work and those we serve in the community. We strive to understand others, to respect differences and to treat everyone with dignity.
- Acting Responsibly: We recognize that our decisions and our actions can affect others and we strive to uphold our commitments and act honorably and responsibly in all that we do.
- Promoting Opportunity: We are committed to helping each other achieve our potential. We foster a supportive and motivating environment that enables continuous learning, encourages mentoring and develops future leaders.
Each year the New York Junior League awards its highest honor to a group of exceptional volunteers. These women serve our community, live our core values, and lead by example. Meet all of our Outstanding Sustainers and Outstanding Volunteers.
Since 1901 when Mary Harriman founded the first Junior League here in NYC, The Junior League has evolved into one of the oldest, largest, and most effective women’s volunteer organizations in the world, encompassing more than 150,000 women in 292 Leagues in four countries.
Download our tax form.
We could not achieve success in the community without our dedicated group of community partners, volunteers, and advisors.
We work with over 20 different organizations, including schools, neighborhood centers, family shelters, senior residences, prisons, and hospitals, to achieve our dream of improving the health and well-being of countless individuals. Read all about our Community Partners.
Interested in becoming a Community Partner? Learn more about the application process.
The NYJL focuses our volunteer efforts on five main areas of community programs. They are Adult Education & Mentoring, Children’s Education, Culture & the Arts, City Impact, and Child Health & Welfare.