On November 17, we are excited to celebrate the 136th birthday of our founder, Mary Harriman. Mary established the Junior League in 1901 while a student at Barnard College. She was moved by the poverty she saw in New York City and was determined to do something about it.
Rallying her friends, these young ladies visited the Lower East Side settlements, teaching and mentoring the immigrant families who lived there.
At the New York Junior League, we are proud of our history and are inspired every day to continue Mary’s legacy. If you’d like to join us on this mission, learn more about how to become a NYJL volunteer.
Created in 2012, #GivingTuesday has become a movement that supports giving during the holiday season. This year’s Giving Tuesday is coming up on November 28 and we are excited to celebrate our Playground Improvement Project (PIP) and the amazing work they do restoring parks and playgrounds in New York City.
This year, in addition to revitalizing a local park, we hope to raise enough money on Giving Tuesday to provide a solar powered Bigbelly trash compactor to help keep the park tidy and litter free.
For 25 years, NYJL volunteers have designed, planned, funded, and completed a playground renovation each spring. The NYJL partners with New York City Department of Parks and Recreation to create safe, beautiful, well-organized and educational play spaces for children and families in the New York City community.
Join us in celebrating Giving Tuesday and help us reach our goal!
On October 21, the NYJL Home Design committee had the pleasure of hosting the 23rd Annual Fall House Tour. The festivities kicked off on Friday evening with a celebration at Theory. Guests enjoyed hors d’oeuvres and refreshments while shopping and a portion of the evening’s sales were donated to support the NYJL.
Home Design Committee Volunteer Bree Belmonte & Co-Chair Ashley Schmidt
On Saturday, guests enjoyed a continental breakfast at the Astor House before beginning the self-guided house tour, showcasing some of New York City’s most prestigious and luxurious residences in some of the New York’s most sought-after neighborhoods. The homes featured designs by Paula + Martha, the Mendelson Group, James Rixner, Rona Landman Interior Design and Logan Yost.
The tour included champagne stops at Veronica Beard, Alice + Olivia and Lulu Frost, and a buffet lunch from Parm at Henri Bendel. A silent auction was available leading up to the event and throughout the day on Saturday, with select items and experiences from brands including Bungalow 5, Equinox, J. McLaughlin, Paintbox, SoulCycle and The Whitby Hotel!
Design by Gideon Mendelson
Design by Paula + Martha
A post-tour reception was held at The White Company where guests enjoyed light refreshments and a 20% discount on all purchases while finalizing their bids on the silent auction.
Stay tuned for more information on the Spring House Tour coming up on May 12, 2018. We hope to see you there!
The winter months are rapidly approaching and that can only mean one thing… Golden Tree is almost here! The one-stop shopping experience is the fundraising event of the holiday season, generating vital dollars to support the charitable work of the New York Junior League.
While shopping for unique gifts for your loved ones, don’t forget to check out the daily holiday events. From breakfast with Santa for the little elves, to sips and sweets for the young professional shopper, it’s a three-day event for all ages. NYJL members and the public are welcome to attend.
At the event, make sure to stop by some of our favorite vendors:
- Ace & Everett: High quality men’s socks with original patterns inspired by the architecture of New York.
- Gigi New York: Colorful, high-quality leather bags and accessories in a wide range of shapes and sizes. Gigi New York will also feature custom monogramming for your purchases on site!
- Lindman New York: Elegant and distinctive ties for the gentlemen in your life.
- Merrichase: Vibrant jewelry that evokes a feeling of surprise and serendipity.
- Mini Mains: Adorable 100% eco-friendly pure cashmere and cotton clothing for babies and children.
- Maeree: Luxury gift baskets with items for the kitchen and home, featuring ethically sourced accessories that blend contemporary design with heritage craftsmanship.
- Porter Lyons: Direct from New Orleans, this jewelry brand has been worn by celebrities from Taylor Swift to Jennifer Lawrence. Designer Ashley Porter is making her only holiday season appearance in New York at Golden Tree!
- Red’s Outfitters: A purveyor of luxury sunglasses for men and women embodying classic American design, while maintaining Italian artisan craftsmanship.
- The Linen Shop: A Golden Tree favorite! The Linen Shop will feature their classic array of products that are perfect for the elegant hostess and holiday home.
- Xocolatti: Gourmet chocolate truffles in sophisticated packaging with flavors that pair the most exotic ingredients from across the globe.
Don’t want to miss out on the fun? Purchase your tickets today!
On October 18th, the Single Parent Resource Center honored the NYJL’s Building Blocks committee for their outstanding volunteerism during the organization’s annual Fall Fete at the Cosmopolitan Club.
The Single Parent Resource Center (SPRC) is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping New York City’s single parent families survive and thrive. In its partnership with the SPRC, the Building Blocks committee provides free “Mommy and Me” classes to the families served by the organization.
Rosemarie Dackerman, Executive Director of the SPRC and NYJL volunteer, praised the work of the committee: “Each session focuses on providing interactive play, dance, art, yoga and music so that new moms can bond with their babies in a safe and supportive environment. Our families would not have these programs if it were not for the New York Junior League.”
The NYJL is proud of the work the Building Blocks committee has accomplished and cannot wait to see their efforts continue during the 2017-2018 League year. Learn more about Building Blocks and our NYJL Community Partners.