Be a Brand Ambassador for yourself and the NYJL!
In today’s world, social media is not just a leading source of information – it’s often one of the most influential ways to portray an identity — a brand — to the larger world.
A nationally recognized nonprofit like the New York Junior League uses its strong online presence to convey our values, highlight and promote our work, and establish a distinct character in people’s minds.
Last month, we welcomed Anne Bahr Thompson, a Director At-Large on the NYJL Board of Directors and Joan Pelzer, founder of Joan Pelzer Media to discuss the power of social media at the NYJL. Joan Pelzer Media is a digital marketing company that specializes in social media strategy and engagement, online PR, and business development. Ms. Pelzer is a social media expert and online engagement strategist with clients including entrepreneurs, small businesses, events, and an UN-based NGO.
Throughout the seminar, participants learned about what it means to be a brand ambassador for the NYJL and how to effectively portray both themselves and the NYJL through social media channels. Volunteers were also given tips for posting about the NYJL:
- Share that you’re an NYJL volunteer on your own personal social media profiles and specify what you do with the NYJL and the skills you use
- Make comments on posts on the NYJL LinkedIn page
- Connect on LinkedIn with other volunteers in NYC and nationally
- Share photos on your social media channels of volunteer activities and trainings, not just fundraising events
- Include hashtags and tag the NYJL’s social media handles in your posts.
- Take and post #IVolunteerBecause photos and tag the NYJL in your posts so they can re-share
- Use hashtags that tie back to the full scope of the NYJL’s work such as #compassionintoaction #volunteertraining #communityleadership
- Regularly share NYJL social media posts on your own social media accounts to increase awareness and build a community
As volunteers of the NYJL, we are all responsible for establishing and promoting the integrity and credibility of the organization to our friends, acquaintances and online followers. Thank you to both of our experts for training us to become better NYJL brand ambassadors!