Tutor Time Helps Kids Learn and Grow
“When one teaches, two learn.” – Robert Half
Find out why tutoring can be one of the most rewarding things a person can do! Tutor Time provides an excellent opportunity for you to gain encouragement and consistency in the lives of children ages 6-7 through tutoring in reading and math for one hour each week at Mott Haven Academy Charter School. Haven’s priority is for its students to learn that challenging life circumstances provide opportunities to learn, grow, and persevere. Learning, growing and persevering are all things that every NYJL volunteer knows well, so share your knowledge while discovering how valuable tutoring can be for both tutor and tutee!
Mott Haven Academy Charter School (Haven Academy) is a new public charter school designed to meet the needs of at-risk students in the foster care and child welfare systems in grades K-6. Tutor Time volunteers will work one-on-one with specific early elementary school students. Tutoring guidance will be provided by the teachers and staff at Haven Academy for each student.
- Commit to tutoring students for one hour per week from October through June, as a consistent adult role model for the children
- Note, with tutoring times as early as 9:00 a.m., this could be a great way to start one day each week. And if you work in the area, this could also be a great lunch break a couple of times a month!
- Create an environment in which the students feel comfortable learning without fear of failure, experience success, and develop confidence in their own abilities
- Choose a consistent day and time to volunteer each week. Volunteer times are Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 1:45 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- Participate in one Haven Academy special event as well as the organization of the annual spring Tutor Time field trip
- Participate in one training session (1-2 hours) at the school in early October
- Meet as a committee one evening a month at NYJL Headquarters. (Typically the third Tuesday of each month.)